The Put-in-Bay Township Port Authority operates a year-round airport on South Bass Island. The island is serviced by airlines from the Erie/Ottawa Regional Airport in Port Clinton and Put-in-Bay. Landing and departure from dusk to dawn is prohibited at the air field because the runway is not illuminated. A paved parking area is available for pilots and there is a parking fee. 419-285-8042.
The commercial carriers use small planes — generally carrying 3 to 15 passengers — to transport passengers and freight to the islands. Commercial service tends to fall off during the summer resort season, but the airport is busy during that period with private aircraft whose pilot and passengers arrive for an day of sight-seeing or a short vacation.
PUT-IN-BAY AIRPORT (3 WHISKEY 2)
- FAA Identifier: 3W2
- Airport Use: Public
- Elevation: 590
- From city: 1.5 mile SW of PUT IN BAY, OH
- Lights: No lights along the runway
- Open: May-September, Daily, 8:30 am-6 pm
October-April, Daily 8:30 am-6 pm
- Ramp & Parking Fee: Yes. Determined by size and type of aircraft
- Control tower: No
- ARTCC: CLEVELAND
- FSS: CLEVELAND [1-800-WX-BRIEF]
- Lat/Long: 41° 38′ 12″ N 82° 50′ 21″ W
- Runway Size: 2,870 feet by 75 feet wide
- Runway Condition: ASPH/Good
- Unicom: 122.8
- FBO: Put-in-Bay Township Port Authority
- Additional Comments: No camping on airport property. Repeated take-offs and landings are prohibited. No tie-downs or chucks available. Must stay a minimum of 1,000 feet away from Perry Memorial column (352 feet tall).
- Aviation Websites: XC Pilot
- Pilot Information: NOAA National Weather Service
- Aviation Weather: